Social media for business is all about forming relationships with people who might become customers in the future, the more engagement the more they are likely to do business with you and social media marketing has become an integral part of businesses because Twitter is a powerful platform.
What is a Hashtag?
Hashtags are used in microblogging and photo-sharing services such as Twitter, it is a metadata tag that is prefaced by a hash symbol. Some of the examples are #fashion, and #beautiful, you just have to use this symbol (#) before a word.
Why Should You Monitor the Hashtag?
Monitoring hashtag performance is essential for businesses because it helps in keeping up with everything that is being mentioned about you and your brand, or your marketing campaign online.
A hashtag strategy is important because using the correct hashtag will help to become more visible to your target audience. Hashtag in social media has significantly grown, they are very common and are used on most social media platforms such as Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
Benefits of Tracking Hashtags on Twitter
- Determining your primary audience is crucial when using a hashtag. Geographic, Demographic, Psychographic, and Behavioral are the four levels of segmentation that will help in finding the audience. Research yourself which hashtag has the most retweets and views on your post or any other influencer post, track them, and follow their activity, from them you will know which hashtags are in trend and also find your target audience.
- Identifying your brand influencers and measuring the most popular accounts that have used a certain hashtag is a great way to flag potential ambassadors that would deliver the best ROI. like if you are going to a baseball match and you know nothing about it, then you will first look for the best players of baseball who regularly post on #baseball and try to imply their strategy. In the same way, you should look for influencers who have the same brand as yours and try to look at what has worked for them.
- Competitors and content research are the most important research. They provide us with the image of our brand by knowing and tracking our competitors, we can analyze what can work for our brand and what does not. To educate your content strategy you have to track your hashtag in your industry, for that you can use some hashtag tracking tools.
- Sentiment analysis is used to help in finding out, how a user is feeling about your product or your post and what thoughts they are having while reading your stuff, creating a positive environment around you and your users is a must because then only they will able to trust you, if there is more negativity than people don’t want to read that again, there will be distrust among your users.
How to Monitor Hashtag Performance on Twitter?
Choose Your Hashtag Wisely
Choosing a hashtag is one of the difficult tasks, it will only be easy if you know your brand upside down, and for that, you have to research a lot on your brand or product, proper knowledge is a must. Make sure you have your own unique hashtag, through which people can relate your brand, and use clear, easy-to-read, and relevant.
Consider Your Timeline
You should be clear about your timeline, and which data will help you the most. Most of the tracking hashtag tools do not provide historical data, and some give only after the subscription. So it becomes more important to use the tools. Make sure you set up hashtag tracking before you start a campaign, to ensure that you have access to the entire campaign history.
Identify Your Key Metrics
The most important metrics that business track are called key metrics or KPIs, which shows the overall health and performance of your hashtag.
Customer engagement– This is the means through which you can create a relationship with your customers, it will show the number of likes, shares, clicks, and comments a hashtag received and help you to improve.
Customer impression– It is an advertisement or any other form of digital media rendered on a users screen, you may hear of “ first impression is the last impression”, it should be authentic, how many times this hashtag is seen depends on the quality and sentiment of that post, number of tweets multiply it by number of followers is equal to the number of impressions.
Customer reach– Discover which tweets you should be resharing multiple times in order to hit more of your audience, Twitter reach means how many feeds this hashtag shows up on.
Choose a Hashtag Tracking Tool
Amazing hashtag monitoring tools will help you see which hashtag is performing well, and what your audience is most interested in. Some of the best hashtag tracking tools are TrackMyHashtag, keyhole, and Brand24.
TrackMyHashtag is a Twitter hashtag analytics tool that allows tracking Twitter hashtags, keywords, accounts, or events. It can help you access real-time as well as historical Twitter data, only by typing (hashtag, keyword, @mention, or any topic). It provides data for any time period since 2006 in Excel or CSV format which you can use when needed.
Following are some of the features and metrics provided by TrackMyHashtag.
- Real-time hashtag tracking- Track any hashtag, Twitter account, or keyword mentioned in real-time and see the results on the dashboard.
- Historical hashtag data- Fetch the data from 2006 to the present time, write any keyword or hashtag it will show you all the historical data.
- Competition hashtag analytics- Plan a social media marketing strategy and analyze the activities of your competitors.
- Measure and analyze- With the help of an AI analytical platform, you can measure the reach of your Twitter hashtag campaign.
- Find social media influencers-Find all the most influencer users who are trustable or responsible to promote any Twitter hashtag campaign.
Keyhole is a social media analytics platform that helps you effortlessly track hashtags, keywords, @accounts, and URLs on Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, and Facebook. It helps to create customizable reports and intuitive layouts which helps to create actionable insights.
Some of the features are:
- Influencer tracking- Identify top creators of your industry, and ensure that they only work with genuine influencers.
- Hashtag analytics- Generate and share reports for all your social media campaign and social channels, and find and analyze any conversation with hashtags to improve your social media presence
- Keyword tracking- It can find any online conversation that mentions your keyword
- Twitter historical data- keyhole historical data include total posts users, impressions, and influencers, they deliver reports in 1 business day.
3. Brand 24
Brand24 is a social media analytics tool that offers the ability to alert when the conversation on your brand hashtag reaches a certain volume. Some of the features are:
- Data exporting- Turn your data into automated PDF reports and infographics
- Filtering- Focus on what is important for you by narrowing the results.
- Alters- Customize your alters the way you need them.
- Influencer score- Find out your industry influencers to make correct decisions about who you should be working with.
I have mentioned every possible detail that one needs for monitoring hashtags, and have written an abundance of content about which tool you should use, so you don’t have to waste any more time exploring the various alternatives, initiate TrackMyHashtag free trial and test the tool yourself.